Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Multiple Offers - 'Tis the season!

The market is booming.  I have clients looking for a home in the West Genesee, Marcellus, Westhill or Skaneateles Districts.  We've see quite a few, enough to get a good feel for what you can buy for around $200,000.  One early house we saw came on the market just above that - and had 7 scheduled appointments before I could schedule ours.  More buyers than homes.

We saw another one this weekend.  The house was priced under the assessed value and staged very well.  We saw it after 6:00 on the first evening it was available to be shown.  When I called the agent to ask about coming back, she said there were already two offers in and a couple more expected.  Oh my!  One of the offers was taken the next afternoon.

I felt like I was rushing them when I said it would be gone.  That old Realtor game...hurry up and buy!  But no, I wasn't, and certainly how it all played out proved that. 

The message here is simple.  Be ready.  See a lot of houses if you must, but when you see one you want - take it.  I always think the test is asking yourself...."How would I feel if it were gone the next day?"  If there would be sincere regret, don't play around....take it. 

You take it by giving the sellers their asking price, or a bit more.  You make it hassle-free.  If you can tolerate no inspections and can say "we'll deal with whatever comes our way," then you add to the value of your offer.

Very few places have unique homes in the way Skaneateles does.  I know homes in this Village that literally get "visits" when they come on the market.  People will say, "I loved this house 10 years ago when it was for sale.  I have no intention of buying, but can I just take a peak?"  They know they may not have a chance for another decade if they don't look now.

That's the same with buying.  It may be another 15 years before the house emerges onto the market again.  A family will have raised their children there, spent Christmases and watched parades, walked home from the fireworks on Labor day... and then turn it over to another generation.  If you see a home like that, and you can afford it, take it.  Enjoy it.  Plant your lilacs, watch your dogs play, walk your kids to school. 

Just do it!

No comments: