Thursday, May 12, 2016

In the Village

Our very good friends, Annie and Tom, came to visit for a brief afternoon.  They live outside of Saratoga, and now that they are retired they attend rallies in their HUGE RV.  I suppose it's called something else - camp on wheels? - but they love it.  They have toured the country many times, generally wintering a bit in California and summering in Saratoga.  Not a bad life!

They were attending a rally at the Turning Stone and came over from there.  I asked Annie what she wanted to do, and she immediately replied...."Go to Skinny!"

We went to Bluewater for lunch.  I had checked the weather a few days ago and yes, indeed, the promise was for 80 degrees.  I reserved four places on the deck, with Bob joining us.  While it was cooler than expected with the breeze off the lake, it was glorious to be sitting outside and generally just being together again.

For lunch we had an assortment of goodies.  Annie tried the Poke Bowl with tuna and calamari.  Tom - a big man - relished and ravaged his bowl of lobster bisque and three half sandwiches - chicken salad maybe? Bob had the margherita pizza and a "side" salad that was a meal unto itself.  I had my pear and gorgonzola salad with salmon...I am stuck on it!  I will also have the other half for dinner!  The service was excellent, although the waitress confessed it was her first day.  She was a pro and much appreciated.

We walked over to the new Berkshire Hathaway office, but the key wouldn't unlock the door - oh, my!  I found out later that the owner of the building had all the locks changed just that morning.  Another time.

We went towards the pier afterwards, and Annie was mesmerized by a young goldie chasing a stick in the water over, and over, and over.....  She has loved goldies all her life, or at least since her Irish setter days in grad school.  Currently they have one dog, Millie, who tours the country with them.

Both Annie and Tom were thrilled with the color of the water and its clarity.  I tend to lose sight of the remarkable quality of the lake....and I love being drawn back into marveling at it.  We walked up West Lake Street to where the sidewalk ends, then back into town.  A leisurely walk, one I wish we could take more often.  We live 150 miles apart, and while Annie and I have been friends since fourth grade we have rarely lived closer since her family moved from Syracuse in seventh grade.  She is still the person I call first when tragedy or joy comes my way.

I love that we could share the glorious day - I look forward to many, many more!

No comments: