Friday, May 6, 2016

Breaking Up is Hard To Do

I haven't written in some 17 days, but it feels like 17 years.  During those couple weeks I went down to the City to babysit the boys while Alex and Rachel had a rare night away to a family wedding.  We went to bed early, knowing they would be up early.  Didn't figure on midnight though....Bob held Ollie's hand while he slept until 4:45, then I took over.  It was fun though.  So much fun I went back to take care of Oliver five days later, then Alex brought Liam up to Elbridge for a few days....Phew!  Most marvelous of times.  Busy times. And, oh yes, somewhere in there I moved from RE/MAX to Berkshire Hathaway Home Services, CNY Realty.

Last Sunday, in the rain, I closed up my desk at the office on Jordan Street.  I cleaned out drawers, and discovered that I had bought a lot of coffees at the Bakery across the street.  Every drawer had the little plastic stoppers that kept me from spilling the coffee as I jaywalked across the street and pushed open the door.  The T.S. Eliot line came obviously to mind...."I have measured out my life in coffee spoons....." from Prufrock.  That line was also etched into the woodwork in the town's coffee house in South Hadley, where I went to college.  It follows me.

But I digress....

I am moving because my life is moving on.  I have no quibble with RE/MAX,,,,they have been very, very good to me over the past 10 years.  It was probably just about this time that the Skaneateles office opened, actually.  It was the site of my former hair salon.  My new desk was situated where I had had my hair cut and dyed (it's not natural - imagine!) over the previous 10 years.  I chose the front desk so I could see out the door and liked it ever so much.  People stopped in to talk.  I loved the autonomy, the independence that I had craved.

My life has changed since then.  Rachel married Alex, the boys came, my business expanded...and now it's time to move around the block, back to East Genesee Street where I had started with Gallinger in 2001.  It's just a third phase of my real estate career, a re-invention of myself yet again.  I am there in part because Mary MacKaig who had managed the Gallinger Office and had recruited and trained me is back in the Village.  The company is the fast-growing Berkshire Hathaway....Warren Buffett's conception.  I think it's a good fit to my lifestyle.  I am hoping I will have more time to write this blog, quite frankly.

So come and visit....32 East Genesee Street....A bit down from Vermont Coffee, up from Bluewater.  We'll sit on the back deck.  Look out at the changing lakefront.  I'll wave as you walk by when I am sitting in the front for floor time.... And starting a new collection of coffee stoppers, for the next 10 years.

No comments: