Friday, May 27, 2016

After Hours with the Chamber - The Citizen

Each month (or even more often) the Skaneateles Chamber sponsors an "after hours" event.  I wrote about the one at Finger Lakes On Tap (www.fingerlakesontap.com) a while back.  My first one was at Anyela's (www.anyelasvineyards.com) (...hmmm...a theme is developing here). I missed the Last Shot Distillery (http://www.lastshotdistillery.com) after hours with the move to Berkshire Hathaway taking up some time. (Definite theme.)  This week I made it to The Citizen in Auburn though.  No, not a new bar - the newspaper! (www.auburnpub.com)

The Citizen has been publishing since 1816....amazing!  It covers the Auburn and Cayuga County areas with a 6-day publishing schedule.  It also publishes the weekly Skaneateles Journal - or actually the West Onondaga County Journal, as it's now known.  The Journal was published for 10 years covering solely Skaneateles, but was re-branded this year to add Marcellus, Spafford and Elbridge.  You can find it at http://wocjournal.com.

Tara Lynn, the Chamber's Director, gathered us together for a quick tour of the facilities.  I was really surprised at how cumbersome the machinery was...how "old school" it seemed to me.  The papers were put through several machines to create the colors.  Somehow I had thought they were spit out of a vast copying machine!  What a process!  And how much paper is used to make the Citizen, Journal and the Chamber's Directory, which it also prints.


We were all astounded....this amount of paper you see here - it's only one month's worth!

I think I will go to as many of the after hours events as I can attend.  I really enjoyed the time  - thanks, Tara!

And oh yes, the Chamber's website:  www.skaneateles.com

No comments: