Monday, May 14, 2007

The Views

I grew up in the Finger Lakes and always thought that every state had wonderful lakes like Central New York. When I went away to college I discovered differently. I seemed to end up where there were lakes, anyway - the Lake District in England, Seattle, Saratoga.

Now as a Realtor part of my job is to show people the area, and of course that means Skaneateles Lake. Today was a prime example, and I traveled down the west side and then through the village to the east side.

My companion called the views mesmerising and I concurred, as usual marveling at the idea that I never get tired of the scenery. I appreciate it no matter how many times I see the same vista across the lake, the farmers' fields newly plowed, the sun sparkling off a distant pond, the tiny cars curving up hillsides. My home.

After I left him I went off on a listing appointment. For land with a view, no less. I stood speaking with the owners in the late afternoon and found myself mesmerised by the view. I simply could not take my eyes off it, even missing a few words because I was lost in the landscape.

I hope I get the listing - I want to share that view with others, watch others lose themselves in it, and eventually see new owners building a home that will always be remarkable for the view.
Mesmerised.

No comments: