Thursday, May 17, 2007

Client Base

Early on I learned that having a solid base of clients was preferential to making cold calls. Who wants to call strangers and ask if they want to list their home? I've done it, but it makes me uncomfortable. If salespeople call me, I politely decline and hang up on them. I have to admit no one hung up on me, amazingly, and I did get some listings. Still, never having to call is better.

I met a young couple and their premature baby when they first came to Skaneateles, looking for a home or a rental. They were squeezed into a small apartment while they looked, the baby only a few weeks old and cared for by the mother, grandmother, and a teen-age foster child.

We worked together to find a home, finally building one in Camillus in a new development. They moved into it in the fall, earlier than they had expected. Everyone heaved a sigh of relief.

Through the process we became friends. I became protective of the young mother and we spent extra time together. She wasn't from here, and the challenge of her baby and the new life away from family and friends was difficult. On Christmas they would come calling on us, and in the summer join us for our July 3rd (more on this later) celebration.

I wasn't surprised when they announced in 2005 they were planning to move south, back home. I helped them sell their home and sent them on their way, but we stayed in touch.

On Monday they surprised me with a visit. I saw the baby, now a very active 4 year old, climb up the steps to the office. I was speechless with pleasure.

Last night they came over to the house for dinner and a walk on our property. The little boy ran and yelled, picked flowers and let our dogs lick his face while he giggled. He had had open heart surgery since we last saw him and the change was dramatic.

Client base? I wouldn't call it that. For some people it is a business transaction with boundaries. Others have become my extended family, and for that I am most grateful.

No comments: