Sunday, May 13, 2007

Mothers' Day

As I pulled my open house signs this afternoon an old friend shouted to me from his bike. We met years ago when he was looking for a home that would be conducive for him and his wife as well as his mother-in-law. They were cramped and everyone needed privacy.

I had such a space for my own mother, and knew what he was looking for. Unfortunately his wife's mother passed away before they found anything.

The house I had open today also had in-law potential, as they say; living areas upstairs for the primary family and a first floor bedroom, sitting room, full bath and possible kitchen all on a large private lot only a mile from the village of Marcellus. A couple saw it and realized that it would work well for their situation and brought the wife's mother over to see it. She was thrilled.

Deal? Not yet, but hopeful.

As I run into this situation more and more, I wonder what makes people wait. The comfort of family warmth, safety and privacy as our lives become more tenuous and our abilities wane is priceless. The families that make that leap and take on the remaining years of a loved one's life are to be congratulated for their compassion and courage.

It's not an easy decision, but such a good one to be made on Mother's Day!

No comments: