Wednesday, May 9, 2007

The Athenaeum of Skaneateles

Yesterday I went through this grand home built in 1850. A huge Victorian, it's within easy walking distance of the village center and commands a view of the lake over rooftops.

It was on the market a couple years ago and I spent a few hours in it with clients and a home inspector. It needed a lot of work, but the hardwood floors, turrets, nooks and crannies as well as a long history in the village had charmed my buyers as well as me. Unfortunately we were unable to complete the sale and the Peregrine Health Management Company purchased it.

They have created what they term the "Premier Living Concept for Seniors on the East Coast," a classy name for a senior residence. Those nooks and crannies made interesting bedrooms, the turrets are sitting rooms and meeting rooms, the hardwoods are polished. Each bright room will be luxuriously furnished, each bathroom large and handicapped accessible. A salon is on the lowest floor, a chef is in the kitchen, an elevator glides up the four floors.

I met some people from town there and we checked it out together. We kept stopping at the windows with views of the street or views of the lake. We agreed basically that when we needed space like this, it could be charming with the views and the village. It would be a gentler way of life.

To see pictures and learn more: www.the-athenaeum-of-skaneateles.com

My own thoughts - I wish it could have stayed a 9,000 square foot single family home. I wish the doors could have been thrown open for summer balls, winter sleighing parties, family reunions. I wish extended family were able to be made at home and comfortable. I know it's unrealistic, and I am very grateful that the home was preserved, but I can still hear the music.

No comments: