Thursday, May 21, 2015

Skaneateles Real Estate - Good News Update

I spent Monday night at the lake with Charlie.  Just to make sure everyone knows who Charlie is - our King Charles cavalier who came to us a little over three years ago at the age of 9, we were told.  He had all but two of his teeth removed and his tongue lolls out of his mouth as a result.  He is a bit bug-eyed and always looks on the verge of going mad, but he loves to walk and ride in cars, so I took him with me for the night.
He is also a good companion.

I had all the windows open - it was 72 degrees even at 3 AM!  I know because I got up to read a bit and enjoy the evening warmth.  We saw Rachel, Alex and the boys over the weekend, and Rachel had given me a book to read.  I could not put it down, so I read for an hour and a half until it started getting light out. Sarah's Key, by Tatiana de Rosnay.  I haven't finished it yet....savoring it now....but I've lost a lot of sleep over it!  The first few chapters hooked me totally.

But!  During the day there is real estate to do!  Currently there are 88 single family homes listed in the Skaneateles area of the multiple listing service.  Of these, 25 are in the Village and 13 are considered waterfront.  Since I wrote in mid-April, 19 new listings (including re-listings) have come on the market. Seven are in the Village and five are waterfront.  I think I can safely say that there are fewer waterfront properties to choose from this year.

Nine homes went under contract in the past month bringing the total number to 18, waiting to close.

The good news part?  There are now 37 properties that have sold and closed so far this year.  That's an increase of 8 in the past four weeks.  Two are in the Village and one is waterfront.

The good news comes in two parts.  If we look at 35 closings as being one-third of the year, then we are headed to at least 100 homes closed.  The second part of the good news is historical.  Last year on this date we had 22 sold and closed homes.  ONLY 22.  Long winter, yadda yadda yadda.....but this winter was long too.  In 2013 the weather was better - and there were 29 closings by mid-May.

The market in Skaneateles is jumping - and with fewer homes from which to choose, prices will go up and decisions will be easier.  I spoke with an agent today who said she had three buyers looking to buy three Village houses.  And if you have a house you are thinking about listing - please call me!  There are buyers for it!

No comments: