Tuesday, January 5, 2021

The Start of a New Year

 How amazing...after years and years of writing this blog I gave it up during the height (I hope it was) of the Covid-19 pandemic.  I had time, supposedly, to write.  We had the kids a lot - Alex, Rachel and the boys had rented a home in the Village to escape Manhattan.  We served as "recess" and then summer camp when school was out.  They moved to Connecticut in July, giving up their apartment and city-living after almost 14 years.  They needed a full, 3 bedroom home with a yard and basketball hoop.  You couldn't squeeze them into their Upper East side home after they had lived the good life in Skaneateles.

They were gone, I had time to write.  My computer didn't cooperate, the office was not as enticing when I was trying to be safe and hunker.  I was busy - very busy - with real estate.  It was a good, if chaotic, year.

Moreover, I didn't really miss writing.  I read instead, enjoyed my neighbors at the lake.  It was a year like no other and frankly, I hope it stays that way.  As an only child I knew how to be alone without being lonely.  It was time for many deep breaths and long walks.

This past weekend it hit me.  A friend, past and possibly future client who I hadn't seen in years, called and asked to see a house.  I was thrilled that she had remembered me, and tracked me from RE/MAX to Berkshire Hathaway.  

As we walked the property she noted "Your blog is down." 

I agreed.  Yup, it was.  And why?

I keep a Pearls Before Swine cartoon by my computer.  Pig writes:  

            Dear World, 

           You've done lots to try to bring me down this year.

           But I'm still standing.

           IN YOUR FACE, WORLD.

     (He comments to Mouse:)  "Sometimes you gotta let the world know who's boss."

So in an odd, only child way I think I was letting the world know I could make choices - to write or not to write.  To come out of my hunkering and see people (or not).  To be a Grandma playing with her grandsons, walking the dog, watching the tree house be built - and loving it even while the world fell apart elsewhere.  

Sara Green Carmichael wrote a column on New Year resolutions.  I paraphrase:

       1.  Make only one resolution.

       2.  Small goals are better than big ones.

       3.  Frame the resolution as positive.

       4.  Give yourself a time limit.

       5.   Aim for progress.

Years ago I was very successful with one resolution, which wouldn't meet her standards.  I resolved not to rush (a negative as I phrased it.)   I learned to be un-rushed.  I got to appointments early, amused myself with Words with Friends or opening, seeing the property.   Enjoyed the time I had earned by not rushing.  It changed a lot.

So this year my one resolution is to connect with people.  Over the holidays two clients I had known for years passed away.  I spent time putting up bags of goodies for my in-laws, which meant I baked a lot.  There are no measurable goals - the time limit is open-ended, hopefully a lifetime.  Progress is in my eye.  I will not burden myself with a blogging demand as I used to do years ago.  But blogging is part of connecting.

Next blog (sometime) will be about Skaneateles Real Estate (I think).


  



    







No comments: