Tuesday, January 12, 2021

Thoughts on Last Week

 I was tired.  I had stayed up to watch the Georgia returns, so about 1:30 I built a fire in the fireplace, got my book and a cup of tea (a cookie too, I am sure), a blanket and turned on the overhead light which simulates sunshine to me.  Soon Boss had snuggled in, the book was closed and I slept.

I awakened around 4:00 and checked my phone for the time.  It had blown up with cryptic texts - "He should be arrested."  "I can't believe this is happening."  There were others.  I turned on Jake Tapper - but got the videos of the Capitol being stormed.  

I responded to everyone who had texted and watched, unbelieving.  Only later did I start to think how much worse it could have gotten, how we had watched "Designated Survivor" the first season and realized the possibilities.  I was shaken.

It reminded me of a time in Norway, my second trip to Europe.  I was so young, so idealistic.  I hitched by myself, going where and when I wanted.  I followed my own "rules" - never hitch at night, say no to a ride if I caught weird vibes, drink only with friends. For the most part - unlike my first trip - I was alone.  Hey - I knew what I was doing.

I had come across on the ferry to Norway, and was hitching with a young man from Victoria, B.C.  Hitching with Canadians bought a sense of protection.  America was not the most loved country then; Canadians were revered.  We were picked up by a couple who invited us to spend the night at their camp high in the mountains.  We had a marvelous time - they loved showing us around and then dropped us off the next day on our way east.

Somehow we were let off at a store later in the afternoon.  A group of older boys were hanging around.  My friend was asked to look at something inside the store and I was left with the group.  They knew by then that I was American.  They surrounded me and taunted me, saying I supported Nixon if I was American.  I looked for escape and there was none, just waited it out.  They grabbed at my backpack containing everything I owned - clothes, money, passport.  At that point my hitching partner came out and I pulled him back into the store for my safety and to tell him what had happened.  He shrugged it off, the small crowd of boys dissipated, and we hitched a ride somehow out of there.  I had never felt so American as I did then.  And so surprised that I could be targeted.  Especially for something a President I had never supported had done.  But I felt I needed to defend him, somehow.  Weird.

So what will it be like for other Americans traveling abroad after last week.  I can't imagine.  I know I am happy to be here in Central New York, fairly removed from conflict, "safe."  But I am very saddened that the innocence I had they will never know.




No comments: