Tuesday, November 27, 2018

This and That

Snowy day in Skaneateles.  I was going to give it up and go home from the office, but I ran down to Green Mountain, saw Kay, and revved myself up with coffee and a salted caramel.  There is a storm warning out there, so I could be forgiven for leaving.  But it is Central New York after all.  Boss is at school, playing with Moxie and Pepper, so he's probably glad I haven't picked him up.

First of all, I will tell you a bit about the poster below:



Last year I enjoyed this wonderful tea at the Skaneateles Historical Society's Creamery.  We learned a great deal about the etiquette of the day, and some facts which I have used over the past year.  Do you know the difference between low and high tea?  It's a fun afternoon....

On a more serious note, CNN broke down what we can expect from climate change in the next few decades.  The Northeast gets off comparatively easily - more incredibly awful storms and events, like Superstorm Sandy.  We will lose fishing off the coast - no more  Doug's Fish Fry as it is now.  The lakes will be more susceptible to toxins.  It becomes real when I think of our grandsons, and what they will face before they are 50.

The immigration disaster was also brought home to me on Sunday.  We saw a report about children who were removed from their parents, often with no warning.  We had spent a couple days with the boys, and Bob told me that when Liam was getting ready to sleep he reached under his pillow and retrieved three little bears he could cuddle.  His nightly routine.  I thought about the other children
taken from their parents, and taken from all things normal.  They wouldn't even have a tiny bear that was familiar.

I know in Dickens' and Queen Victoria's day there were children on the streets, children without comfort and warmth.  No tea, no scones.  But haven't we come farther than this?

No comments: