Tuesday, November 13, 2018

A Manhattan Halloween

Catching up, slowly.  We have the first real snow of the season, and I've surprised myself by not dreading it.  I also want my holidays in their proper order, and I will not skip ahead.  That said, this year has been a bit different.

I spent Halloween in New York City.  I had no idea what I was in for.  The day was gorgeous, the drive down smooth and easy until the usual chaos before the George Washington Bridge.  I waited for the kids to get out of school by walking in Carl Schurz Park and catching the sun on a 65 degree day. I met Rachel at the boys' school and was slightly disappointed that they weren't in costume.  They changed in the apartment and we were off!  Cat Boy and an unnamed Chicago Bears football player ( last year was a Seahawks' player) ran off to get goodies from all the stores in their neighborhood.  We picked up Alex on Second and got to the townhouses on 91st before they were overrun.  It was wonderful!  Magical!  Owners out on their steps, decorations and costumed trick or treaters in the closed-off block.

On the way back the boys stopped in every store.  And the vast majority of stores had candy for them, just waiting.  Doormen opened doors, waiters waved them in.  We went looking for a friend who lived on the 20th floor of a building.  He was gone, but they had left candy outside their door.  As did other residents on each of the 20 floors we proceeded to go down.

As we ate pizza from Luigi's, separated the candy - no nuts! - and watched the SU game I checked my phone to see how far we had walked.  Five miles, it turned out.  What a city experience!


No comments: