Sunday, February 28, 2016

Oh, What a Night!

Last Wednesday the Skaneateles Chamber had an "after hours" event at the new Finger Lakes on Tap.  It's located in the Creekside building and has taken the coffee house part of it.  As Amber Spain from our office said, they replaced all the coffee images and decorations with those of beer.  And they did a few other things, too.

One of those things was to put in over 60 taps for local beers.  How wonderful!

The event gave us a chance to try several of the beers in small quantities.  I love IPAs, but lately have been leaning towards lagers for some reason.  I tried a black IPA that was great, and then something that was not. I honestly just left it there.  I needed help - and the bartender/owner provided me with a couple samples that were perfect.  One I wanted to remember was Cortland Industrial...heavy name for a full-flavored beer.

I like that they left the basic configuration.  Taps downstairs with a few tables and the long bar, and then the upstairs loft for quiet talk.  They serve food, not a huge selection but enough to be intriguing.  The little bits we had were great.  I will definitely be back - for lunch, for late afternoon talks....I am so glad they are there! They serve wine, too, plus selections from 1911.  Check out their website:  http://fingerlakesontap.com for
more information.

It was a busy night...I drove back to Elbridge and met Bob so we could go to see Loren Barrigar and Mark Mazengarb at one of the churches in the Village.  Loren is from there, and sometimes plays when he can get home from his travels.  Mark is from New Zealand, and the two of them are an unlikely combination except for the fact that they are both incredible guitarists.  I have never heard anything like them.  We perched upstairs in the balcony and just enjoyed.  They are stars in the music world, and here they were in lowly Elbridge, the ad for them being a small sign out in front of the brick church.  It was homey and fun, but the sound....!



They played the next night at a CD release party....the audience paid to come and listen.  We hadn't, only an offering was made to help the church.

I love the NEW TIMES photo - no one is "grinnin'" and Mark looks like a young Tom Smothers.  But at least at the church, and I am sure wherever they play, the audience is smiling.  If you can get to one of their shows, do!

As I said, "Oh, what a night!"

No comments: