Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Skaneateles Real Estate - The Not Freezing Any More Update

I am sitting at my desk at home watching huge flakes fall on the bird feeders outside my window.  This morning I slogged through the water that was under the snow to get to the office for a quick meeting with Martin Carpenter, our broker.  Bob had pushed down the snow at the foot of the driveway with his car as he left for Dewitt, and the Fiat plowed right through it.  I saw no one on slippery 321 on the way in except two cars off the road.  One had Florida plates, Chris Evans noted.  My afternoon showing was cancelled (not by me!) and I looked forward to a quiet day by the fire and on the computer. We are going to be snowed in!

As I came downstairs from the meeting Jason told me I was named in an article on Syracuse.com.  Uh oh, I thought, remembering that a reporter had called yesterday and I hadn't returned her call.  I asked him to pull it up for me....Charley Hannagan was writing about the (almost) 7 million dollar house that was just purchased on West Lake Street and will be torn down.  She cited this blog for her reference to two houses in the Village that were also waterfront properties.  I love it!

So as I did my research here this afternoon, feeling quite pleased to know people were reading this blog, I read her article that I had skimmed earlier.  Fascinating, really.  She also references Kihm Winship's blog about the history of Skaneateles...Kihm6.WordPress.com .  Another fascinating read for a snowy day!

This is supposed to be an update, so I will actually pull it together now.  There are currently ONLY 51 single family properties listed in the Skaneateles area of the multiple listing service.  Of these, 15 are in the Village and 8 are considered waterfront.  Expanding to the Skaneateles School District adds another 12....2 each in Niles and Owasco, 4 in Sennett, and 7 in Spafford.  If that confounds your math, then remember that there are listings in Skaneateles which are actually in the Jordan-Elbridge or Marcellus School Districts.

There were 10 listings that appeared as new, meaning coming on the market since January 19th, the date of the last update.  Of these, five were re-lists.  The listings were freshened up - prices possibly reduced, brokerages changed...Homes might have that New! banner on them in Realtor.com.  All in the marketing strategy.

Under contract are 23 properties.  Of these, 11 really are newly purchased.  They range from the low $100,000 to almost 2 million.

Most importantly, 11 single family homes have sold and closed in the first six weeks of 2016.  Keep them coming! Please!


No comments: