Friday, January 2, 2015

Resolutions - 2015 (Professional)

I like my business and my work.  Over the years I have honed it into being what I want it to be.  If I have an issue, I try to get an answer, either from people who have been in the field for longer than I have and/or people who work differently.

In the past I had to work out how to have a life and a career.  I think anyone successful in this business has had to deal with that.  I went to a Brian Buffini Turning Point on Long Island (conveniently placed) and got strategies that have served me well.  I continue to hone those.  I will never be the hands-off Realtor some people are, but I will be sane.  I insist on it!

When I was a counselor, I used the "magic wand" image.  If you had a magic wand and could make a change in your life, what would you do?  Frankly, that's how I quit teaching!  I wanted to wake up every morning not consumed by the horrific lives my students lived.  I had ceased to be effective - it was time to change the system, or serve those kids in another way.

Just like with exercise, I want to be more deliberative in my work.  Less guessing games.  I changed my commission policy this year, I honored my wonderful clients/friends who bring me business out of the sheer goodness of their hearts (and because they know I always call people back).  I celebrated a good year with clients and friends who are close to us - or have become so.

In 2015 I want to blog more, which means taking time to be reflective, sit at this computer and not always be mobile.

I want to become more proficient with technology, so I can visit the kids in Manhattan more easily and service my clients.  I will still accept that Sarah Cole knows best about my media presence and be continually grateful for her.

Amber Spain has joined RE/MAX Masters in the Skaneateles office.  She is a marketing expert and now will bring her professionalism and knowledge to RE/MAX as a Realtor.  While she is getting started she will do open houses for my listings, be my "boots on the ground" when I am away, and will challenge me with her questions about the business and why I do things.  I am thrilled!  I want her to be so successful that by the end of the year I will be doing her open houses because we will have sold all my listings!

I want to be more proactive rather than re-active.  Last year was so odd....nothing happened until mid-April and then I never stopped running, doing my usual amount of business but in 8 months rather than 12.  I wasn't ready for that, and I didn't take the time to work out the logistics.

I won't change a lot of things that are inherently me.  I will still do paperwork once a month in a marathon session.  I will pile all my completed folders to the left of the desk - but it's time to take away the 2011 files!
As clean as the top of the desk is, the drawers will still be a mess.  (See the previous blog and Cynthia Tucker's editorial.)  I will still lie awake at 3:00 AM and worry about a deal or a client.  I will not compromise my clients' confidentiality either - or ever!

I look forward to this year, as I have all the others since I took up real estate.  It is constantly changing, completely challenging, and always engaging intellectually.







No comments: