Friday, January 11, 2008

The New Year

Resolutions come with the new year. One I made is to take better care of myself healthwise. The flu took over my life for the past month, first creeping in and then settling me in front of the fire for days on end. I was not alone. Many people had it, even people who rarely get sick. The very interesting part of this was that the day I felt truly better, the phones started to ring again. They had been virtually silent while I was ill.

It was a wake-up call, being sick. I realized how precious life is and the simple act of breathing took on huge importance. I resolved to breathe deeply and take the time to think about breathing throughout the year. Multi-tasking is fine, but too much and breathing becomes optional.

Years ago I read a short verse on the back of a Salada tea bag tag. "You are never old until regrets take the place of dreams." This was years and years ago, back in Seattle. I doubt that a week has gone by that I haven't thought of it since then.

I haven't lived by it though. Not fully.

This past week a Skaneateles native passed away at the youngish age of 63. He had been a force in Washington, well-known to presidents and Congress. On his way up, as they say. And then he stopped, moved his young family to Ireland, and bought a castle. They lived there for 20 years until returning recently.

He found out he had terminal cancer early in the fall and was told to "make memories" with his family. I think about his castle in Ireland and I can only smile.

No regrets, only dreams.

No comments: