Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Smiling and Thankful

Having just been out buying Thanksgiving cards and small gifts, I was reminded all day that there is so much in my life that makes me smile.

At the post office, in Elbridge, the postmaster is Jim and he always has a comment for everyone who comes in. Sometimes it's caustic - people walk out shaking their heads, but with smiles on their faces. Often it's just a notice that you exist and came into his world. Yesterday, as I bought stamps, he was "in a mood" because the computer had gone down. The line was long, and as I waited I yawned, and immediately he shouted out "Meg, there's no yawning in line!" Everyone laughed.

Maureen at Essentially Bread makes me smile, too. Not really because of what she says - I think she'd admit that "people skills" are not her forte, but because she creates the most wonderful breads and pastries. Try the raspberry torte and try not to smile!

Karen in our office creates amazing moments. I sent out a postcard today and we worried over it a few days. I walked in yesterday and there it was - better than I could have dreamed. Today she left me a message, and when I called her back she just said "And I put a pen in there, too," reading my mind as usual.

The red flame bushes at the corner of Leitch and East Genesee in the village make me happy. They glow. I saw more in Dewitt, an eastern suburb, and they didn't have that incandescence. Must be the water.

I am thankful for so much - the cat purring on my computer table, the warm day, the magnificent view of the lake from the village. And all those people out there who make me smile!

No comments: