Thursday, November 15, 2007

A November Day

I feel as if this were the quintessential November day in Skaneateles.

I got into the village and the office by 10:00 to wait for a client to come and finish her paperwork for a rental we'd been able to find for her in Marcellus. I ran out quickly to Pomodoro Too (just next door) to get a key chain and then back to do paperwork while I waited for her. She arrived with flowers - gorgeous red gerbera daisies and gold wax flowers that I love because they last so long. Very sweet, and much appreciated on this rainy day that could have been gloomy.

I walked over to another real estate company to deliver papers and stopped to admire the wreaths - now 25% off! - at Fleur-De-Lis on East Genesee Street. Just lovely, and the colors of autumn. The windows up and down the street reflected Thanksgiving preparations -

Pardon this, but it is my soapbox: seasons need to stay within their bounds. I am not ready for Christmas, and I recognize that shop owners do most of their sales for Christmas, but I want one season at a time, please. No decorations for Christmas before Advent, no compulsion to lump it all together. Eat the turkey and the cranberry sauce but don't mix in the cookies, please!

- and I thought how lovely the colors were, reflecting the leaves covering the ground. I stopped in to pick up a signed keepsake from Pomodoro and loved the display of turkeys and candles and wreaths. I got a call from a friend, inviting me in to lunch in the city - only 20 minutes away.

After lunch I drove home the long way to turn in some checks to another company and then came home. I started a fire in the fireplace to reduce the chill and spent the afternoon sending Thanksgiving cards and drinking tea, taking the occasional phone call. I look forward to an evening by the fire with my book, the dogs and cats, and then the debate. I've heard that snow is promised for tomorrow.....

We are so very lucky here to have so much!

No comments: