Sunday, February 26, 2017

The SU vs. Duke Game

A little background here....We have always (always!) been SU basketball and football fans.  I grew up in the University area, spent fall Saturdays up on Thornden Park hill cheering when we heard a roar from Archbold Stadium which meant a score.  My father took me to games early on, convinced he could turn me into a sports fan.  He was absolutely right!  My mother and I listened to SU basketball games at the kitchen table for years and years... a great memory.  When I got older I went with friends to the games, walking to Manley Fieldhouse from Berkeley Drive and my dear friend Dodie's house.  I got Boeheim's autograph - not Dave Bing's - when the Nottingham basketball team had a sports banquet.  I liked that nerdie guy - and I always pulled for the less popular player.

Even when I was away for so many years - college, grad school, Seattle and Saratoga - Syracuse sports remained a constant in my life.

I brought up Alex (born in Seattle, raised until 11 in Saratoga) with the same fervor for the team, any SU team.  He is bringing up Liam (now 5 years old) in the same way.


(An old photo - but you get the idea!)

When the Duke game was scheduled during their school break, we should have bought the tickets.  We gave up our season tickets this year - too much going on, and we gave them away a lot last year.  Friends had taken a break or moved away, so we didn't have them.  We also never knew if Alex would have to work. Administrators in schools can opt for vacation, but....

A couple weeks before the break Alex knew he would be clear to drive up from Manhattan.  The weather even cooperated - it would be balmy even!  He had drilled Liam on the players and they had watched the games together...Liam knew them all, and having participated in a local league in January even had an appreciation for the game as a player.

Now to get those tickets...  Alex found two in the front row of the upper section for a goodly amount, and we found some even higher for a less-goodly amount.  We left before 5:00 for the 7:00 game.  They got to go down to courtside and see the players warm up.  Cousin Mike with the towel behind the opponents (second half) basket was in his usual form.  Niece Kelly turned up behind us with kids from her school - National Grid had given them 250 tickets!  It was wild and wonderful.

We said no matter what happened in the game, it was worth the $$$.  There's something very special about seeing one's son and grandson continuing a family tradition.  Liam had a sign he and Papa Bob had made; I was so pleased that Alex could come and would come.

And then the game....and the fantastic finish....the screaming and the yelling, the eruption from the stands as Gillon scored.  My phone blew up with texts from friends all around the country who had been watching.  It was incredible.  We met up with Alex and Liam by the Ernie Davis' sculpture and walked out to the car parked in Thornden Park listening to everyone around us still talking about the game.  I got a text from my Louisville Realtor friend with whom I've talked for years now congratulating us.

At home Liam and Alex headed to bed while Bob and I replayed the second half of the game....we've never done that before but it was so good!

Sport has always been such a great surprise - like a David Blaine street magic trick, you never know what will happen and can hardly believe your eyes.  I am so happy that I can pass that on, and that Syracuse produces such phenomenal moments.

Let's go, Orange!

No comments: