Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Showing Houses at Night

Let it be known first and foremost:  I do not advocate showing houses at night.  There are a zillion or more safety reasons;  Realtors need not put themselves in situations that are in any way precarious.  But with the proper precautions, I am re-thinking my self-imposed prohibition on showing houses at night.

First of all, this is the darkest time of the year and showing hours are limited.  This is the time when, as an administrator of the Spring Hill Waldorf School in Saratoga, I was introduced to Lantern Walk.  The boys and girls each made lanterns and carried them through the streets of Saratoga, singing songs appropriate to the time.  This brought light to the darkness, and created a positive experience for them.  Some said it was instead of Halloween, and all the candy and hoopla....but we had Halloween too.  And they were wonderful walks in the autumn stillness.

I was reminded of this when I showed 24 State Street last week right around sunset.  Intrepid Janet had turned every light on in the house (I swear!) and it glowed.  It looked so warm and inviting - I'm surprised we didn't have people walking up onto the porch and asking to come in!

The first group came with their own agent, a second showing.  They had seen it in the daytime and wanted to explore further.  The agent loved it so much she jokingly said she would buy it herself if her clients didn't! And it showed beautifully, as always.  So beautifully that the buyers decided to stay in their old house but remodel and add lights and decorate, just as Intrepid Janet had done.  Oh my!

I showed it second, after dark, but felt very comfortable knowing the the buyer.  I was worried that the yard wouldn't be able to be seen, but there was still enough light.  As we stood outside I saw how lovely it looked.  A Village home, all lit up on a fall evening.

The next time you drive up or down State Street at night, take a look.  And it's not just 24 State, but all the homes that are lit up.  All the homes in Skaneateles that invite people to stop and stay. What a great Village we have, even in the darkest time of the year!


No comments: