Friday, February 15, 2008

Go West! Or Rather, Don't!

It's February and a difficult time here in Central New York. The snow is falling, finally, and I realize I haven't put on the cross country skiis once this year. Soon winter will be over - or will it? We have less than the normal amount of snow and only a couple months (we hope!) to go of snowy possibilities.

We're looking west and south from relief from the cold. In early March we head out to Las Vegas for the RE/MAX convention. I'm not a usual convention-goer, but it's a good excuse to take a brief vacation and the temperatures should be in the 60s at least. It always makes me enjoy Skaneateles more.

I was surprised (so coincidental!) to hear from a gentleman who wanted, therefore, to sell his newly built home outside of Las Vegas and called me for a referral. I love RE/MAX - I get to look at resumes, call agents, and discuss situations. Finding the right person for the job who will work for the specific client is fun. I learn a lot, too.

I learned from two very forthright and honest agents that the real estate market is horrendous out there. Homes built less than three years ago were selling - if at all - at 60% of their value at the time of closing. One of the agents had advised her client to lose the $5,000 deposit he had paid for a new home and walk away from the closing. "He should be sending me flowers!" she laughed, a bit ruefully.

The good point about Las Vegas, the agents agreed, was that the population was continuing to grow. Eventually - maybe in five years - it would turn around. But five years is a long time to wait and pay a mortgage.

My gentleman decided to do just that. He was in the enviable position of having that option, and owning a lovely home outside of Las Vegas is not such a bad thing come February in Central New York.

No comments: