Wednesday, June 20, 2007

The Art of the Deal

My husband, having listened to my recounting of yesterday's blog, reminded me that when I started real estate he had found me reading The Art of the Deal by Donald Trump. He thought this was strange, that Realtors wouldn't generally have that much to do with a sale: people listed houses, people bought houses. The Realtor was the facilitator of the transaction, and that was all.

He has learned differently. Last night an agent and I put together a deal, and we both acknowledged that we were instrumental in the actual sale. It wasn't what we did, but how we brought the parties together so they could come to their own terms. No one lied, no one used coercion, no one exasperated anyone. We simply couched the offer and counter-offer in a manner that brought everyone to a common understanding. The owner sold, the buyer bought.

We did this, I believe, by listening carefully to our respective clients. We found a way for them to explain their positions and move through their objections. We knew their goals - not necessarily monetary - and helped them to reach it.

All this sounds a bit high-falutin' and self-congratulatory - but it's rare that the issues are so clear and the path so certain on both sides. We're not done yet - there's still a home inspection, radon test, financing, and other trials to ride out and work through. But I'm pleased that we could help this happen for everyone.

No comments: