Friday, April 17, 2020

A Walk Through the Village



I walked through the Village yesterday intent on getting some focused exercise.   I've been good about getting my 10,000 steps per day, but a lot of it has been casual.  Yesterday I needed to go and go...I started up near St. James and went literally through the Village on Genesee and up the other side to the Red Apple, then back down to the car.

And there were these signs.  The Press-Observer which serves Skaneateles, Jordan-Elbridge, Marcellus and Camillus had a great article on the front page this week about the signs.  They were started by a group of friends who wanted to honor healthcare workers.  They've placed 100 so far and another 100 are on order.  There's a Facebook page and fundraiser:  facebook.com/HealthCareHeroProject/  

The Village was quiet, eerily so it felt at first.  I had come through a snowstorm - literally whiteout conditions on 321 near WelchAllyn - and continued because the weather can change drastically.  And it had - by the time I parked and got Boss attached to his lead, the sun was out over the lake.  Honestly - I kid you not!  It was still 29 degrees but the sun was quite welcome.

I crossed to avoid a couple coming up the street with their goldie; of course, they had crossed also to avoid us but proceeded much faster than we did.  Boss had to smell every plant along the way, especially some greenery in front of a house by the Presbyterian Church.  By the time we reached Chestnut Cottage the Village felt much better to me.  Years ago I used to walk our little dog, Koko, at 6:00 AM, and it had that feel.  Lots of dogs being walked, stores closed, only the smell of donuts from the Bakery missing.

I crossed over to walk by the park and the lake.  We saw no one to avoid once we were past Hannum.  The houses were so familiar, the Krebs porch so inviting. 


I could look across and see the home I had sold, then re-listed and sold again.  This photo is from early spring in 2011.  What great memories emerged, of people and places, and extended contacts and new friends because of this home! 

We continued on, past the place where a house used to stand near the firehouse which used to be a gas station.  On up towards the cemetery, crossing as the sidewalk ran out.  There's an open pit now, but in the back on a hill I could see Mirbeau as I had never seen it.  We could be in France!  It was lovely - amazing - and would I get back to France some day?

The gates at Mirbeau were open, but I could see only one car.  At Rosalie's music played.  We had held a mini-reunion in the courtyard one year, old girlfriends gathered together.  (I will spare you the photos.)  Later Alex and Rachel had their rehearsal dinner upstairs.

I plopped Boss's poop bag in the trash at the gas pumps, avoiding cars, and walked back down the hill on the new curving sidewalks.  We ran into one group, then a couple men working on the light post.  I put my mask up and went out onto the lawn to pass.  It was really the first time I'd worn it, at least properly. 

We went back by the stores, window-shopping.  Each one had a sign that they were closed because of the virus, but still reachable.  Roland's added "Sadly..."  Very sadly. 

We had our exercise - maybe two miles?  And Skaneateles - virus or not - is still a wonderful and beautiful place to be at any time.


No comments: