Monday, May 7, 2018

Relationships

I visited a friend last week, a woman I hadn't seen since she moved to an assisted living place.  I brought her the flowers below (from Fleur de Lis in the Village), a box from Chocolate Pizza (chocolatepizza.com) and also Boss.  I think she enjoyed Boss the most.


I had come to know her through real estate.  Her home for almost 40 years had been an apartment in a beautiful old house in Marcellus.  I was brought in to sell it, which I did after several years, but the deal fell apart,  I got to know her and the other tenants by calling for appointments and then always being there for showings as I had promised from the first day.  I had no idea I would do it so often and for so long!  And they were wonderful, responding quickly and if possible allowing the showings.  The woman with whom I visited would have stayed forever, but eventually the stairs caught up with her.  I am glad she is safe and cared for now.

Real estate is not just a job or career for me.  Sometimes it's all about the deal, but this is less and less common.  My clients are friends, and I always enjoy renewing friendships.  Finding a home can be a long process.  In that time we learn about each other, share our concerns and families, talk and meet often.  Once the home is found and purchased I like to stay in touch, but that can fade.  When I am called in to sell the gorgeous home they had enjoyed it is always bittersweet.  

Lately - most likely due to the length of time I've been in real estate (almost 18 years!) - I have had several of these sales.  Those 18 years mean that toddlers have grown up and gone to college, incredible careers have wound down, teenage children of clients have become adults and then parents.  But as the stages progress their needs change.  Some buy huge homes, others down-size or leave the state.  It's a joyful process mostly, but I find that when sellers leave homes they loved there is always a sadness.  The new place brings new challenges, new excitement.  

Homes are important to me.  I've had several in different cities, and I can't see myself moving out of this one in the near future.  As many of my sellers can't either....but then they do move.  So I will too, some day.  And every time I sell a home that meant so much to the owner, a bit of me goes with it.  

In the end, I am glad they have enjoyed their homes, loved the land, appreciated the seasons.  I know they will take the memories with them, too.

No comments: