Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Skaneateles Real Estate - The Much-Delayed Update

Oh my!  Has it been that long?  Since Thanksgiving?  I have no excuse, but here's a personal update of what has happened since then:

In early December Alex and I traveled to Austin to see his brother and stepmother.  His brother - Connor Barr - remember that name! - was starring in The Drowsy Chaperone for the final production of the University of Texas' musical theater program.  We had never seen him in a play so I was determined to get there.  And of course, he was amazing!  On to NYC next year!

We brought with us snow.  Actual white-out conditions.  Honest.  More snow on the ground there than there was here.  Then.

As soon as we returned home I was caught up in the whirlwind of the holidays.  I save shopping because it's fun in the snow.  I love to bake so I baked.  The kids came and we went skating in Clinton Square, opened presents and built a snowman.... seems like forever ago.

After they left the cold came in and brought a lot of nasty colds that turned to flu and were sprinkled with other flus that will not be named here.  But today we got the Fiat out of the ice, I am in the office (as the snow comes down), and I know it will be warm when I get home this evening.  So now I can think about blogging.

As you will see, not much has happened. 

There are currently only 21 (!) single family homes listed in the Skaneateles area of the multiple listing service.  If I look at the School District I see only 27 active listings.  The Village only has one home on the market!  There are 7 waterfront properties, however.

Since the 28th of November only 15 new listings have come on in the Town and only 4 more in the District.  Twelve are under contract - and only 5 were sold in these past 7 weeks.

To finish out 2017:  121 single family homes closed altogether.  Of these, 82 were in the Town and a whopping 39 were in the village.  Fourteen were considered waterfront.  The price range in the Town was $32,000 to 2.7 million.  In the Village the median was $335,000  and the range was $175,000 to 4 million.  Looking at waterfront through the District (including the Towns around the lake), the median was 1.4 million from 18 sales.  The total number of homes in the District that sold was 153.

The majority of the closed homes came from Spafford (24).  Sennett contributed 6, Owasco, Niles and Marcellus made up the other 7.

The new year has begun - we're halfway through January!  So far, there has not been a single closing.  I wonder what this year will bring?  I know my buyers are having difficulty finding homes and a couple are seriously looking at building instead.  Might actually be quicker in these strange times!

I hope your New Year is filled with promise!  Thanks for your patience!

No comments: