Monday, October 30, 2017

Skaneateles Real Estate - The Long Time Coming Update

With many apologies....sitting at the computer was just not happening the past few months.  I did open houses almost every weekend, traveled a bit, got several houses listed and sold, plus ran around with buyers to find their new homes.  It wasn't rushed, it was quite pleasurable, and I think I accomplished a lot.  Just keeping up with this blog was definitely not one of those accomplishments!

But it's windy and rainy - Seattle weather - and Boss is curled up at my feet, the fire is keeping us warm, and my curiosity was piqued to see what exactly has been happening in the Skaneateles market overall.

Currently there are 39 single family homes listed in the Skaneateles area of the multiple listing service.  I have been writing this blog for over 10 years - I've never seen a number so low!  I know by experience that yes, there are very few homes out there for sale these days....but 39?

Then I remembered that a while back the CNYIS group who run the MLS started fining people for putting listings in the wrong townships.  For example, my listing at 82 Lakewood Lane is in the Town of Niles, but on Skaneateles Lake.  I used to be able to put it in as Skaneateles because of the lake, but I would be fined if I did so now.  Is it in the best interest of the sellers?  I think not - people from out of town won't know to look in Niles but will certainly look under Skaneateles for a place on the lake.  The rationale is that we must fully disclose, and "promising" one town and delivering another is not being fully transparent.  And for the most part Realtors are complying with this new regulation, making sure they write in Skaneateles as the waterfront so searches can proceed with that as the criteria.  Of course, this is why buyers need Realtors to represent them....

Taking it another step, I checked the number of active listings under Skaneateles School District as the primary criteria:  now there are 51 listings.  Of these, like the first group, 6 are in the Village (for obvious reasons.)  The other towns represented are Spafford, Marcellus, Niles, Sennett and Owasco.  Spafford actually has 9 listings within the district!  Buyers beware - go a few miles out of the Village and across the town line and you will still have Skaneateles Schools.  And if you are in the Township of Skaneateles there are no guarantees that the house will be in the district!

To finish up.....There are 18 single family homes in the Town of Skaneateles under contract at the this time and hopefully they will close this year.  In the School District there are 26 homes under contract.

The best news - there are 100 (exactly) homes closed in the Town and 120 in the District.  We are on track for another record-breaking year - even with the new regulations!

No comments: