Friday, March 31, 2017

The Plot Against America - "Book Review"





I read at night all the time.  Yesterday Boss and I spent a wonderful hour in the afternoon by the fire - I read, he slept.  I wanted to finish the book that has mesmerized me for the past month.

I first heard about it on NPR.  It was easy to remember the author - Philip Roth of Good-bye Columbus fame - and when I got home I asked Bob to order it for me through Amazon.  It came quickly as always and I immersed myself in it.  In some ways I am glad it's finished - I thought about it way too much during the day!  I admit to a couple nightmares, too, book-inspired.

The New York Times Book Review on the front cover:  "A terrific political novel....sinister, vivid, dreamlike....creepily plausible...You turn the pages, astonished and frightened."  I usually think sentences like that are hyperbolic - but not this time.

USA Today:  "A breathtaking leap of imagination..."

Published in 2004.

You learn in the first paragraph that this is a fictional history which poses the question - "What would have happened if Lindbergh had defeated FDR?"  In the interview I heard, Roth said it was one of those questions that got batted around and a few years later he developed the novel.  It is a novel - thank goodness.  Or is it?  (My version of hyperbole.)

As I heard in the interview, Roth talked about the election and how Lindbergh, a young hero at the time, was able to commandeer the most powerful job in the world.  His motto - "America First" - is based on the actual tenets of a real movement in 1940, as I am sure you know.

I won't spoil the novel for you.  Roth's writing is wonderful - easy to read but with a depth of insight and "facts" that reminds me at times of Moby Dick - but don't let that keep you from reading it!  The story is about a young boy - Roth himself - growing up in Newark at this time.  His family is Jewish, his life is that of a Jewish boy in an Eastern city.  Terrifyingly real.

I kept comparing the events Roth plotted with the reality of the past two years and the daily political news stories.  So eerie....  I wondered early on if Trump had actually read the book - or friends had - and had put into play some of the methods and techniques.  If his whole Presidency came from the novel.  Published in 2004.

I hope you read it - as the grandmother of Jewish boys growing up in an Eastern city it is so close to my heart right now.  As citizens of America, it may affect you too.






No comments: