Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Skaneateles Real Estate - The Up Late Watching the Convention Issue

So I am tired....and I am going out to show a property at 6;30 tonight.  Then on to the lake, to sleep, I hope!  Tomorrow an old friend is coming into town for about 24 hours and I want to be ready to run around and do things in this beautiful weather.

The update:  There are currently 77 single family homes in the Skaneateles area of the multiple listing system, of which 37 (such a high number!) are in the Village.  Only 16 are considered waterfront....(and more about that later.)

Fifteen of the listings are new.  Eight are in the Village and 2 are new waterfront listings.

There are 24 homes waiting to close in the under contract category.  Ten of these just sold in the past 35 days since my last update.  That's pretty good considering the temperatures were above 80 most of the time, and going out to look at houses can be a very sticky business.

We now have 61 sold and closed single family homes this year.  Hooray!  On my next stint in the office I will write and publish the Third Twenty.  We are doing quite well!

About those waterfront properties....I was showing waterfront homes on Owasco Lake and ran into a fellow Realtor who does most of his business over there.  I commented that there were twice as many lakefront listings on Owasco than on Skaneateles, even though the lake is much smaller.  He disagreed....said there about 100 on Skaneateles.  Since all this was playing out in front of my clients, I allowed that I may have been mistaken.  As of today, there are 23 - only 23! - waterfront listings on all of Skaneateles Lake according to the multiple listing service.  Of these, 9 are priced at a million or more.  Owasco Lake has 45 listings.  

The upshot of this is that there is such low inventory.  Or so it seems.  When I first started 15 years ago it was worse...very few homes came on the market.  Everyone had long lists of buyers, and when a property appeared it was a race to bring them in to see it and potentially write an offer.  We are not quite there yet....the prices are so much higher than 2001 when there was only one 'real" million dollar house.  The higher the prices, the fewer the people who can afford them of course.  Just a discussion on a lazy afternoon in the Village.  Your thoughts are welcome!

No comments: