Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Skaneateles Real Estate - The Weekly Update

Many apologies for the tardiness of this blog! No, my birthday celebration did not take on gargantuan proportions - as a matter of fact, I worked through most of it. I'll have another birthday next year - and my sister will come to that one, too, I hope!

There are currently 161 homes listed as active in the Skaneateles area. There were 9 new listings this past week, of which 5 were re-lists, 2 new waterfront properties, and 2 new town/village.

Two properties were marked contingent - and 3 were pending, of which 2 went directly to pending, didn't pass "K..." but will collect a bundle of money if the offer is anywhere near the list prices! And we don't know, and won't know until the properties are closed. If anything should happen - and as I've written, it does all too frequently, especially these days - the agents don't want the price negotiated to be common knowledge.

We had a village closing, too. That's 2 this month - an improvement on the last one being in March! We now have 25 closings on the record.

Of these 25 closings, 7 are in the village, 6 are waterfront, and therefore 12 are town or surrounding townships. Percentages: 28% village, 24% waterfront, 48% town.

Last year: 55 closings by this date, 35% village, 16% waterfront, and 51% town. I'd say the village vs. waterfront statistics are significant. There are a lot of people waiting out there for something to happen. But the waterfront people are stepping up, knowing that this market is still good.

I asked what people want to know, a brief survey in the office.... One facetious answer was "Where can I park?" Answer - on the street is usually the easiest place to find a space, easier than the parking lot that everyone tends to circle first. But a real estate question also surfaced: "Who is buying the waterfront homes?"

Generally, they are local people. We went over in our heads a few recent sales and yes, local was the answer. I know the waterfront I've sold in the past has been to people who either are local, have a local connection (grew up here, parents still here) or want to maintain a local connection. Most people think it's people from the large metropolitan areas, but I don't believe so. Maybe other Realtors can add to this - watch for comments on this blog.

I didn't go to any opens yesterday - again I ran off to sell a home. So once again, no "House of the Week." I'd love to hear from people - what do you want to know about real estate in Skaneateles?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Really cool blog. I am not a blogger, but enjoyed this one.
I hope you are right about the recovery. If the economy downturn drags on for, as some say, another year then the impact on all of us will surely click up a notch. Imaging GM failing - a real possibility by just running out of cash and credit.
On the bright side, this is an opportunity for those who have been realistic about their spending over the past years. Anyone who had the guts to invest in 2001-2002 and sat back for a few years is real happy now. And we have a similar opportunity again, this time with real estate. So even if it is not the bottom yet, it is clearly the buying season...
Overall, it is a fool who bets against the US economy!

dave