Saturday, December 1, 2007

Mechanic & Main

One of my favorite things to do in real estate is to purchase closing gifts. I try very hard to make them personal, to say something about the home my people buy or their lives. I also like to make them fun.

For the next few weeks I will have a closing a week. This gives me a great opportunity to run around and look for gifts. I was doing just that on Thursday when I found a wonderful little shop in the village of Camillus.

Camillus is about ten minutes from Skaneateles on the way to Syracuse. Nine Mile Creek runs through it and the principal industry was the world-famous Camillus Cutlery. This huge enterprise dominated the little village - four acres and 100,000 square feet of building right on the Creek. Closed now, it has been rumored for the past couple years that it will be/was/has been bought and condos and retail centers will pop up there. Unfortunately, none of the above: it will be sold by auction next Wednesday, December 5th, bids starting at $1. We'll know better then what will happen.

But among the stores in the village currently is Mechanic & Main, a store featuring handmade gifts from all over the world. I started to look out of need and curiosity, and remained for over an hour fascinated by what it contained. The owner and his greyhound were also draws - both very sweet and patient with me.

I settled on a "witches' ball," suggested by the owner. This glass ball has fibers inside to catch the evil and keep the home safe. It was lovely and perfect for the young couple buying their first - and perhaps only ever - newly constructed home. Unknown to me, the woman's mother had a witches' ball in her house! And it has kept bad things away - she swears!

I love little shops like Mechanic & Main and I want them to flourish. A year from now I hope the Cutlery has found new life and I can return again to by more closing presents.

No comments: